SCIENCE-TECHNOLOGY DIVISION S. KIRK CABEEN TRAVEL STIPEND AWARD
The S. Kirk Cabeen Travel Stipend Award is offered to a library school student or first time conference attendee. This $1,000 award, generously supported by SPIE Digital Library, is to be used toward expenses of attending the Special Libraries Association (SLA) Annual Conference in Phoenix, AZ on June 16-20, 2017.
QUALIFICATIONS: Be a library school student at an ALA-accredited library school OR, if NOT currently a student, then the applicant should be a recent graduate from an ALA-accredited program attending his or her first SLA Annual Conference.
Be a current member of SLA, preference going to Science-Technology Division members. Please note, membership in SLA for students or low-income librarians is very affordable ($50 US). See https://hq.sla.org/cvweb_sla/cgi-bin/memberdll.dll/info?wrp=membershipapp.htm
NOMINATIONS: Self-nominations are encouraged.
Send an application letter via email including complete title, Library School and anticipated graduation date (if applicable), employer (if applicable), and all professional and personal contact information.
All nominations MUST also include a short essay (500 words or less). As Sci-Tech Librarians, we need to be nimble and able to adapt to change. Please write a short essay on the theme of “Trends in libraries that will affect Sci-Tech Librarianship in the next five years”. Neatness, spelling and grammar will count in judging.
Supporting documentation MUST include a current curriculum vita OR resume for the candidate.
Supporting documentation SHOULD include supporting letters from instructors, employers, or colleagues, as applicable. A list of significant publications (if applicable), or other documentation regarding qualifications may be included.
Applications should also mention if you are currently applying for other SLA Division awards or any other SLA awards.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: April 15, 2017
Nominations and all accompanying materials should be sent to Janet Hughes, Chair of the Sci-Tech Division Awards Committee, at the following email address: email@example.com
POST AWARD REQUIREMENTS:
1. Recipient(s) will write a brief article (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference experience for the November 2017 Sci-Tech News. Alternately, the recipient(s) could film a short video discussing the conference experience to be posted on the DST web page.
2. Recipient(s) will be asked to serve on the Science-Technology Division Awards Committee in the following year. Recipient(s) may continue on the Awards Committee after that year if desired.
1. Applicants will receive notification of award status by early May 2017. The award check can be presented at the Annual Conference or sent to the recipient as soon as the receipts (travel expenses, registration, hotel, etc.) are received by the Awards Chairperson or Treasurer.
2. The recipient’s name will be posted to the Science-Technology Division’s Web site, as will the winning essay.
3. The award will be announced and presented to the recipient at the Science-Technology Division’s All-Sciences & Engineering Poster Session. The presenter may be the DST Chair, the DST Awards Committee Chair, or a representative from the vendor supporting this award, SPIE Digital Library.